"Looks aren't everything" Super Model Cameron Russell talks about her privilege, the modeling business and her insecurities

While viewing a video on youtube the following video was suggested (you know those videos that youtube suggest on the right hand side of the site when watching a video). I was attracted to the title , watched it and decided to share.

Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model.

"Cameron Russell admits she won "a genetic lottery": she's tall, pretty and an underwear model. But don't judge her by her looks. In this fearless talk, she takes a wry look at the industry that had her looking highly seductive at barely 16-years-old."
TEDtalksDirector
Side note: I actually thought the word wry was a misspell only to google it and found it is actually a word!!!

My thoughts on "Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model.":
I enjoyed this video, not only did she talk about her privilege, hints at the gruesome reality of the modeling world, she admitted her insecurities which we all have to a degree. Rather they are physically related insecurities, insecurities about personality,etc we all have them. She transforms on the stage from something you would expect a supermodel to wear a skin tight black dress with 8 inch pumps to something that is not only more comfortable but considered more humble. She attests to how she is privileged to change people's view of her. Although I can not testify to the degree that she can I have admitted the way I dress is influenced by the treatment I received in my blog post titled "I am selfish." My answer to "Who do you dress for?"

She mentioned she was insecure because she had to think about what she looks like everyday. We all think about what we look like to a degree. Given she earns a living in a very physical/superficial based field it makes you wonder does this intense type of insecurity that is formed from being worried about what you look everyday spill over in activities that cater to beauty and fashion interests like vlogging, blogging, social media sites  and communities that dwell around fashion and beauty like lookbook.nu and chicopedia.com, niche fashion online communities, etc. Although fun and great relationships can come of it, all of these activities and fashion and beauty sites are superficially based.

 If you liked "Cameron Russell's: Looks aren't everything. Believe I'm a model." I suggest you watch the documentary "Girl Model". Do not be discouraged by the 6.6 out of 10 rating it got on imdb.com (That was the rating at the time I typed this blogpost) . It's well worth the watch, at least to me. It's available on Netflix.
Girl Model a documentary about modeling in japan pic
Image source: imdb.com


Netflix's description "Girl Model":
This unflinching documentary profiles a conflicted American scout -- herself an ex-model -- who recruits Russian girls to work as models in Japan.


Wikipedia's description of "Girl Model":
Girl Model is a 2012 documentary film following Ashley, a conflicted model scout recruiting young Siberian girls to model in Japan, and Nadya, a recruited 13-year-old who gets financially taken advantage of during her modeling work in Japan.


My thoughts on the documentary "Girl Model":
Every girl that is interested in Japan and/or modeling should watch this. Actually any girl interested in another country should watch this. It's unbelievable to me how naive some people can be about what they fantasize a foreign country is. Even if you like the surface of what you think that country is, after hearing experiences from other people you really don't know until you live there. Until you experience interactions with people who make that society and they treat you.
When it comes the modeling I feel the same way. Modeling in and outside the United States is made to look glamorous. The movie "Girl Model" and "Cameron Russell's: Looks aren't everything. Believe I'm a model." hopefully gets people to start thinking about what modeling really is and why they have admired it so much. Don't get me wrong I have had my share of modeling and I loved it. However I had people who was honest with me about the business. No sugar coating which is why I can still stand myself.

Girl Model's Official site:

If you haven't already please subscribe to this blog!

Until next time,